Meeting Minutes for May, 17, 2018
Minutes Approved during July 19, 2018 Meeting
Call to Order and Updates:
- Diana Robinson called the meeting to order and gave each of the following candidates a few minutes for brief presentations:
- Mary Wilson-Candidate for US Congress TX District 21
- Erin Zwiener-Candidate for TX House District 45
- Richard Cronshey - Candidate for Hays County Commissioner Precinct 2
- Judge Scott Cary -Candidate for Hays Justice of the Peace Precinct 5
- Ruben Becerra- Hays County Judge
- Diana Robinson provided the Chair’s Report- She asked candidates and supporters alike to avoid negativity to better maintain Democratic Party solidarity for the November elections. She reminded everyone that early voting was ending Friday May 18thfor the May 22nd She also reported that the Candidate Forum at Kyle City Hall on March 22nd cohosted by KBAD and the Hays Tejano Democrats was a big success, with an SRO attendance of over 150 people. Lastly, she described the process by which paying KBAD members would be given blue cards to vote with during future meetings.
- Liz Strand provided the Treasurer’s Report- She reported that we now have 52 paying members, and that over $1,600 had been raised with membership dues, with only $125 has been spent so far, (on the Candidate Forum). She pointed out that we now have funds available for future events and projects.
- Gary Gibbs provided the Secretary’s Report, as David Doerr could not attend-He explained that KBAD is currently maintaining three email lists on Mail Chimp:
- A master list of 184 members and is the primary list for anyone who has signed up for general email notifications.
- Another list created from folks who signed in at the March candidate forum. It currently has 29 members.
- Finally, an email list of KBAD Dues Paying members.
- We also currently have 256 members on the KBAD Facebook Group and 123 likes on the FB page. David will soon work to merge the general interest and candidate forum lists together. This summer, David will also investigate and develop the creation of a full-feature KBAD website.
Presentations and Proposals
- Diana led a discussion of the four committees that have now been formed:
- Events-In need of a Chair and volunteers. This committee will suggest, plan and implement community and social events for KBAD.
- Bylaws-Chaired by Terry Cummings and/or Anna Bolling. Responsible for reviewing suggested amendments to the KBAD bylaws before they are offered up for approval by the general membership.
- Outreach-Chaired by Lacy Waller. Will head up GOTV projects and act as liaison to HCDP and other Democratic organizations.
- Promotions- Chaired by David Doer. Develop websites, etc. to promote KBAD and Democratic candidates.
- Overall Diana stressed the need for KBAD members to volunteer for these committees as the most effective way to contribute to the success of KBAD and the Democratic Party.
- Lacy Waller discussed TX Democratic Party’s Central Regional Summit, which will be held in Austin on Saturday the 19th. It will bring county parties, clubs, and campaigns together to create detailed field plans and foster strong political partnerships. Attendees will walk away with a concrete plan of action, and all the tools they need to efficiently communicate with Democratic voters in their counties and districts. Lacy will attend and plans to set up a workshop in June with David Doer to pass along relevant information to KBAD members.
- Donna Haschke the HCDP Chair updated members on early voting in the current runoff election. She reported that voting is at higher levels than 2014 or 2016 and that, so far 54% of the early voters are Democratic vs 45% Republican. There was also a general discussion of the need in Hays County for more early polling places, situated at more consistent location.
Diana moves to adjourn
Join KBAD Today
From block walking and phone banking to donating and utilizing your unique skill set, KBAD has many ways for you to get involved.
Together we can turn Texas blue!